THE DEAD LIVE
5th Sunday in Lent
April 6 RCIA Session
Third Scrutiny for ELECT, this weekend
Psalm 130:1-2, 3-4,5-6,7-8
"I will open your graves and have you rise from them" cf. Ezekiel 37:12-14
"But you are not in the flesh; on the contrary, you are in the spirit, if only the Spirit of God dwells in you. Whoever does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him." cf. Romans 8:8-11
"Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and her brother Lazarus. ...Jesus told her, 'I am the resurrection and the life; whoever believes in me, even if he dies, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" cf. John 11:1-45
ANNOUNCEMENTS: Scrutiny, Retreat...
- This week we will reflect on be joined to Jesus in his death and resurrection -- so that we will live and never die. We also prepare for the Sacraments -- please check the list of events. The best way to spend this week is in your own prayerful preparation, not letting the planning and logistics pull you away from this opportunity to be close to God in his love for you.
- REMEMBER: This week is the THIRD and final SCRUTINY at the 7:00 pm, 10:00 am, and 3:00 pm Masses. This Rite is for the unbaptized, the ELECT! Please come 20 minutes early, check in at the main door, and sit with your family anywhere in Church. Come up when called "the ELECT" are invited forward after the HOMILY -- your name WILL NOT be called. Come forward by yourself to the front of Church.
- April 1 is the Holy Week Retreat for English-speaking Adults in RCIA. April 2 is the Holy Week Retreat for the Spanish-speaking Adults in RCIA. See the schedule below.
- April 1 -- Morning of Reflection for English Speaking RCIA Adult Candidates & Sponsors, 9:00 am to 1:00 pm in the PMC (Old Rectory -- small gray house)
- April 2 -- Evening of Reflection for Spanish-Speaking adult Candidates & Sponsors, 4:00-8:00 pm in St. Augustine Room -- bring food
- NO SUNDAY MORNING RCIA on April 2
- April 6 -- Final RCIA Session before Easter -- Presentation of the Our Father
- April 11 -- Practice for Easter Vigil -- 6:30 pm in English, 7:30 pm in Spanish
- April 13 -- Holy Thursday Mass at 7:00 pm
- April 14 -- Good Friday Service at 3:00 pm
- April 15 -- Preparation Rites for all of RCIA at 9:30 to 10:30 am
- April 15 -- Easter Vigil begins at 8:45 pm: those celebrating Sacraments at the Vigil should arrive as early at 7:00 pm and no later than 7:15 pm -- come to St. Augustine Room
- April 20 & 23 -- RCIA Session: Remembering Holy Week & Easter -- RCIA Sessions 1 1/2 hours long for "Neophytes"
REFLECTION: Partners with God
For those who are about to be joined to Jesus in his death and resurrection through the waters of baptism, AND for those who are about to become Catholic or receive their first Eucharist, this is a week to realize God's great love for each of us. As we celebrate these sacred mysteries His love is poured out into us in new ways. That love is not to be kept to ourselves, and will in fact die, if we do not share it with others. Even as we spend the Easter Season understanding the great gift of God, we immediately begin to look for others who need that same gift that we have been given. We become partners with God in seeking out the lost and forsaken, bringing freedom for prisoners, welcome for strangers, food and drink for the hungry, shelter for the homeless, care for the sick, comfort for the grieving, and LIFE to all who are dead.
As you read the accounts of the Passion, pray that we all may learn to walk in the footsteps of Jesus, in company with all our brothers and sisters in faith.