LIFE IN THE SPIRIT, LIFE IN CHRIST JESUS
Solemnity of Pentecost
FIESTA, Thursday, May 24
READINGS for PENTECOST during the Day
Acts of the Apostles 2:1-11
Psalm 104:1, 24, 29-30, 31, 34
John 15:26-27; 16:12-15
- There will be no more Sunday morning RCIA sessions in English at this time
- This Thursday, May 24, is a night to celebrate with our NEOPHYTES all the grace they have received; we will have a large pitch-in, FIESTA in the cafeteria
- The Fiesta will begin at 7:00 pm
- All are asked to bring food to share with others
- Certificates of the Sacraments, photos, gifts and door prizes will all be shared
PLEASE JOIN US!
CALENDAR: Confirmation Sunday, May 20
- Feast of Pentecost: Confirmation and/or First Eucharist of 44 St. Monica persons at Ss. Peter & Paul Cathedral, 1400 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, 46202. Candidates and their sponsors must arrive no later than 9:30 am. Mass is at 10:30 am.
- Thursday, May 24: Family Fiesta in the Cafeteria, 7-9 pm
- Thursdays in June: For those who have not yet received the Sacraments or who would like to learn more about the Catholic Church, RCIA continues through June on Thursday nights from 7:00-9:00 pm. Those who wish to speak in English meet in the Holy Family Room. Those who wish to speak in Spanish meet in St. Augustine Room.
After Christ had completed his mission on earth, it still remained necessary for us to become sharers in the divine nature of the Word. We had to give up our own life and be so transformed that we would begin to live an entirely new kind of life that would be pleasing to God. This was something we could do only by sharing in the Holy Spirit. ...As long as Christ was with them, it must have seemed to believers that they possessed every blessing in him; but when the time came for him to ascend to his heavenly Father, it was necessary for him to be united through his Spirit...and to dwell in our hearts through faith.
With the Spirit within them it is quite natural for people who had been absorbed by the things of this world to become entirely other-worldly in outlook, and for cowards to become men of great courage. There can be no doubt that this is what happened to the disciples. The strength they received from the Spirit enabled them to hold firmly to the love of Christ, facing the violence of their persecutors unafraid. Very true, then, was our Savior's saying that it was to their advantage for him to return to heaven: his return was the time appointed for the descent of the Holy Spirit. -St. Cyril of Alexandria, regarding John 16:7, Office of Readings, Thursday of 7th week of Easter
What is the NEW LIFE you have received in the Sacraments?
How will you continue to let the Holy Spirit fill your hearts, guide your life, and lead you to live in Jesus Christ?
Make a promise - write it on paper - review it daily: and be faithful to your promise.