4th Week of EASTER
RCIA Session, April 22 & 26
Acts of the Apostles 4:8-12
Psalm 118:8-9, 21-23, 26, 28, 29
1 John 3:1-2
“He is the stone rejected by you, the builders, which has become the cornerstone. There is no salvation through anyone else,
nor is there any other name under heaven given to the human race by which we are to be saved..." -cf. Acts 4:8-12
"The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him." -cf. 1 John 3:1-2
“'I am the good shepherd. A good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.'" -cf. John 10:11-18
- Thursday, April 26: focus on "offering of one's life to God" through Parish Ministry and by the "Little Way" of Therese of Lisieux
- Thursday, May 3: Family Gathering rather than usual youth classes: reflect on the Mystery of the Church according to the Catechism and "try out" a St. Monica Small Faith Sharing Group"
MAIN GOALS THIS WEEK:
- To Reflect on the Gospel and Sunday readings; to know the Good Shepherd
- To reflect on the results of the Spiritual Gifts Inventory for each person
- To look at different Parish Ministries and sign-up for some
- To learn a little about Therese of Lisieux and her "little way"
- To pray about how we can offer our own lives to God, in small daily ways
PRACTICE THE FAITH: Get involved in Parish Ministry
- Parish Ministries List
- Online Spiritual Gifts Inventory Test
- Sign Up for a Parish Ministry at the RCIA Session or contact Anne Corcoran,
REFLECTING TOGETHER THIS WEEK:
The Gospel this Sunday speaks of Jesus, the Good Shepherd who lays down his life for His sheep. The Gospel points out that a "hired man" will just run away in times of trouble, because he works for money and not for the care of the sheep. The Good Shepherd is different. The Good Shepherd pours out His life so that his sheep may live.
Being very honest, in what ways do you "lay down your life"? For whom or for what do you sacrifice the most? What more do you feel called to give, of yourself?
Have you ever felt that the "world does not recognize you" because they do not recognize the Good Shepherd - because they do not know Jesus? When has this happened to you? What were the specific circumstances? What did you do in response?
How does the Good Shepherd lead you now; being very honest, where do you think the Lord is taking you at this time in your life - in prayer, in service, in love? What challenges do you face? What loneliness? What joy?
EXPLORING MORE DEEPLY: St. Therese and her "little way"
- Documentary video with photos by Bishop Robert Barron, 16 minutes
- Animated Cartoon, 13 minutes about Therese's prayers for a convicted murderer
- Another animation, 18 minutes about the life of Therese
- Teens talk about "the little way", 4 minutes
- Documentary video with pictures and quotations, 20 minutes
- Fulton Sheen about Therese and her "little way", 20 minutes
- Website of Society of the Little Flower
- Article about the Little Way and Divine Mercy
- Pope John Paul II Homily on occasion of declaring Therese of Lisieux a Doctor of the Church